AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

[Divine Souls:4410] Examining My Prayer Life...

Whenever something has bothered me during my spiritual walk with God, my mom has always told me that it is in those moments when I need to thank God the most because sometimes when we feel discouraged or broken it is hard to maintain a thankful attitude.  And if we don't keep a thankful attitude- things like despondency and bitterness can creep into our lives.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible captures this thought beautifully:
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard you hearts and minds."

Another verse states, "In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God."

I'll be completely honest - sometimes I find my prayers dwelling more on my requests to God and less on saying my thanks to God. But like this verse indicates, expressing our thanks to God is the foundation of prayer. The Bible says "IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS"....that means even when we don't feel good or when things don't look good, like the devastation left by the Haiti earthquake, don't forget to keep praising God with a thankful attitude.

When I was walking today, I thought about the words in the Simran:
Tuhi Nirankar, Mein Teri Sharan Houn, Mujhe Bakshlo.

These simple words say so much. They encompass everything essential to prayer and that too with a thanksgiving attitude, declaring, "God, you are great!" Our simran starts with a thankful note to God.  It then dawned on me that sometimes my prayers/talks with God are long and wordy but they can miss the most fundamental thing. I noticed whereas I usually end my prayers on a thankful note, my words of thanks to God should be the first thing coming out of mouth when I pray....and I bet if I continue to start my prayers this way, I'll focus on my worries less.

As I try to apply these principles in my life, I'm becoming more aware of one simple truth~ A thankful person is a powerful person. When we learn to thank God in every situation, we not only build up positive energy and put our faith into action, we open the door for God to do a profound work in our lives.

~apna banake tune, aisan kardiya hai, yeh thera shukriya hai....
Jho kuch houn aaj data, sab tune hi kiya hai, yeh thera shukriya hai...
Theri Rehmatoun ka sagar,maine sada piya hai, yeh thera shukriya hai~

Dhan Nirankar Ji.


--
VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION
**********************
1. Proper English Recommended. Avoid Hinglish, Pinglish or English Transliteration.
2. No Personal Communication.
3. Spiritual Content needed in Messages.
4. Archive available on http://divineexpressionblog.blogspot.com
5. Follow us on Facebook. http://bit.ly/1wWK5i
6. Follow us on Twitter @divinesouls
7. Moderators / The Nirankari Mission may not concur with the views expressed by the authors.
********************
To post to this group, send email to <Divine_Souls@googlegroups.com>
To unsubscribe from the group, send email to <Divine_Souls-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com>

Visit Divine Souls

Google Groups
Divine Souls
Visit this group

AddThis

Bookmark and Share